In some ways it feels like wrote my last blog post ten years ago (it was a month ago), and in other ways I feel like I just wrote it. The emotions of time sure are complicated.
So much has happened since January 1. For the month of January, I did a ton of work travel. The marketing team I’m on went to numerous regions to conduct trainings. Atlanta, Denver, Miami, Washington DC, Boston, Houston, Austin, and Dallas. It was a grind, but well worth it. And thankfully, I really enjoy the team I’m on so we had a blast. In the midst of my work travels, I also got to squeeze in time with my friends in Fort Lauderdale. I can’t even begin to describe how much I miss(ed) them and Laudy.
In January I also completed my third round of Whole30. Each round has had its own unique challenges. This time the challenge was remaining compliant with all that work travel I was doing! It took some will power at times (Root Beer Kombucha in the Denver Whole Foods - I’m looking at you!), and I packed a lot of my own snacks, but I did it. What was awesome about this round was that Brett did it with me! He made it 25 days, which is something to be very proud of! Not to mention, it meant a lot to me that he tried something that I’m “into”.
BERMY. Oh my goodness, Bermy. On January 5th Brett and I brought home a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog puppy who we named Bermy (“Bermy” is short for Bermuda). He’s sleeping through the night, has no qualms when we tell to “go to your castle” when it’s bedtime (his crate), and is a really chill dog to be around 70% of the time. The other 30%? He’s a complete maniac. We are going to be sending him to what I call “puppy cotillion” (training) to learn some manners. But I’m starting to really love this pup… even if he makes me cuss a little.
I have yet to pick up a workout routine. I tried Crossfit several months ago, and while I absolutely loved the people, the times weren’t really fitting with my schedule. There’s another gym nearby that is tempting, and I’m willing and able to spend more than average on a fitness facility because it’s priority for me… but even I have my limits! However, in an effort to meet people, I might bite the bullet and just give it a shot. Plus, I’m just not feeling as good as I know I can when I work out. I feel very skinny-fat.
Like I alluded to in the paragraph above, my social life is total shit here. I miss having a pack of girlfriends to do things with. I understand why I don’t. It’s a culmination of living in a challenging environment to meet people around my age, not being a huge drinker, and having a demanding job and work schedule. We pretty much only hang out with Brett’s friends, who I very much like, but I wish I had my own. This was also a contributing factor in getting a puppy - to combat the loneliness.
Last week I signed up for painting classes (to meet people and to do something I enjoy). I went to my first one on Monday and loved it. It was a small class, less than 10 people or so. I was the youngest one by at least two decades, but I didn’t mind. I was so happy to be around friendly people who also enjoy painting. The instructor is incredibly talented, and one of the nicest humans I’ve met since moving to New England. The warmth she gives freely to everyone is such a breath of fresh air.
Brett and I are now approaching holiday season. Today is Valentine’s Day… we are 0/3 in spending Valentine’s (physically) together… but he still made me feel extra special today while he was in Austin, TX. He sent me beautiful roses, chocolate, and a really sweet note (that I’ll probably keep forever). February 22 is our 3 year anniversary. March 1st is Brett’s birthday. March 9th is my birthday. March 19th is my cancer-free day. Good golly. Lots to celebrate.